Monday, January 13, 2014

9 months

My 'baby' can still fit in most of his 9 month onesies. Most of his clothes are 12 months with some 18 month stuff. He's still fitting in size 4 diapers comfortably, too.


He is drinking about 30 oz of milk a day. The Ped informed us he should be between 16-20 oz now and said we can increase his solid intake to compensate. 

We do purées and table food. I like the purées, because there are so many varieties and textures available in organic. We do organic puffs for little snacks here and there and organic wafers for teething. I take some comfort in the organics knowing massive amounts of FDA-allowed pesticides weren't used (hopefully). But I also give him table foods that aren't organic (stuff with thick skins like bananas). I'm more leary about nonorganic foods that grow in the ground, though (greens beans, carrots, etc).
 

I know. I know. Eventually, he will make his own decisions and eat as he pleases. And frankly, I'm ok with that. I'm just trying to start him off on the right foot. Hopefully, he will make good decisions regarding food choices one day, but I vow not to cringe when he has a burger at McDonalds or a shake from Sonic. I will probably be sitting next to him chowing on the same thing. I just hope that I am able to give him the tools to understand self-control and moderation. 




As for now, he is quite pleased with discovering foods of all colors, textures, and tastes. It's pretty exciting for all of us. It's also stressful, though. 
 
How much does he need to eat in a day? At once? How much fluid should he have? What fluids can he have? What foods can he not have? What if he chokes? How often should I feed him? How do I know if he's full? Can I over feed him? This has pretty much been buzzing in my head since the day the kid was born. 
And it's always a new feeding plan after we see the doctor and get new recommendations. 
 
The latest:
 
5am:    8 oz bottle
7-8am: breakfast
11am:   lunch
2pm:    8 oz bottle
4-5pm: dinner
7pm:    4 oz bottle before bed if needed. 
 
Looks good on paper. We'll see. I'm flexible. 

 


He's tried everything imaginable, in terms of food. Minus dairy. He is still on the Alimentum formula, and thriving. I chopped up some honeydew and cantelope for him one night recently. Big hit. 
 
The kid has four teeth, FOUR! And the doc informed us, at his 9 month check up, he has FOUR more about to cut! I cannot, for the life of me, fathom that this kid is going to have at least eight teeth by his first birthday!!! I didn't realize this happens so fast. Or maybe it's just him? And they're like puppy teeth. If you're a dog person, you just cringed. If you're a dog person with kids, you just laughed while nodding yes. Am I right?! Those things are sharp! And he likes to test the waters with them, too. He bites everything. And he grinds them together! *Shudders at the thought of the sound.* 
 

Rolling over has been his thing for a few months now, and he just can't get enough of it. In the words of Forrest Gump: If he was goin' somewhere, HE.WAS.ROLL-ING! This makes for some interesting diaper changes. Why oh why was I ever excited for this milestone? I'm convinced it would be easier to baptize a cat than change a mobile baby's diaper! The military teaches how to disassemble and reassemble a weapon in record timing. New parents should be taught diapering techniques that way, too! It's a time-critical combat against poop, people. Shew. But gosh he's cute.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment